25 Apr Too much Netflix, TV & smartphone use can cause strain to your eyes
Posted at 19:23h in Eye Care 0 Comments
During lockdown we are regularly glued to digital devices like smartphones, TV, Laptop etc. Using your laptop or mobile or any gadget for long hours at a stretch can result in digital eye strain or eye fatigue. Our eyes do a lot of work for us all day and we do not give them enough rest and care.
Here are some eye exercises for you to help those muscles relax, strengthen and enhance your vision.
- Blink! Humans normally blink about 15 times in one minute. However, studies show that we only blink about 5 to 7 times in a minute while using computers and other digital screen devices. Blinking is the eye’s way of getting the moisture it needs on its surface.
Make a conscious effort to blink as often as possible. This keeps the surface of your eyes from drying out. You might even want to put a sticky note on your computer screen reminding you to blink.
- Lube ‘em up. Use artificial tears to refresh your eyes when they feel dry. If you are often in a dry, warm room, consider using a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
- Follow the “20-20-20” Rule. Take regular breaks using the “20-20-20” rule: every 20 minutes, shift your eyes to look at an object at least 20 feet away, for at least 20 seconds.
- Use computer eyeglasses. If you work on a computer for many hours at a time, you might find that using computer eyeglasses reduces eye strain. These prescription glasses allow you to focus your eyes specifically at computer screen distance (intermediate distance, which is about 20-26 inches away from your face). Some of these glasses have multi-focal lenses to help you quickly shift your focus between close, intermediate and far distances. Be aware that computer glasses for reducing eye strain are not the same as “blue light blocking” glasses.
- Adjust brightness and contrast. If your screen glows brighter than your surroundings, your eyes have to work harder to see. Adjust your screen brightness to match the level of light around you. Also, try increasing the contrast on your screen to reduce eye strain.
- Reduce the glare. The screens on today’s digital devices often have a lot of glare. Try using a matte screen filter to cut glare. Check with your computer store or cell phone store to see what they can provide.
- Adjust your position at the computer. When using a computer, you should be sitting about 25 inches (right about at arm’s length) from the screen. Also, position the screen so your eye gazes slightly downward, not straight ahead or up.
Arunodaya Deseret Eye Hospital (ADEH) the leading eye hospital in Gurgaon, Sector 55, Golf course road. With a dedicated team of best eye specialists doctors in Gurgaon 30 years of exceptional service, Auunodaya Deseret Eye Hospital located in Gurgaon Sector 55 – 56 Golf course road offers patients unparalleled eyecare and treatment options in order to get you healthy again.
Source: American Academy of Ophthalmology